223 Carlisle Street
Built in 1909
Formerly the Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity house (beginning in 1951), this large two-story stone house was built by Warren Lavere Hafer in 1909. Hafer, a student of Gettysburg College, was the owner of the Gettysburg Times for many years.
Timeline of Ownership
1. Edward S. Breidenbaugh, by 1906
2. William McSherry, May 1906
3. Warren Lavere Hafer, February 3, 1909 (building constructed that year)
4. Heirs of Warren Lavere Hafer, June 24, 1931
5. Psi Chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, September 18, 1951.
1. "Work has been started on Lavere Hafer's new house on Carlisle street." -Gettysburg Compiler, March 24, 1909
2. "The joists are being placed on the foundation wall of W. Lavere Hafer's new home on Carlisle street. The house will be constructed of granite. It was designed by Robert A. Stair, of York and, when completed, will be one of Gettysburg's most handsome residences." -Gettysburg Times, May 4, 1909