Built in 1867-1868
Stevens Hall was built in honor of Thaddeus Stevens. A college resolution stated that, "in token of our appreciation of the valuable services rendered to the cause of Education by the Hon. Thaddeus Stevens, and of his constant and active interest in the growth of Pennsylvania College, the name of the Preparatory building be the Stevens Hall." The cornerstone was laid on August 8, 1867, and construction was completed the following year. The cost of the building was $19,160. It was designed and constructed by John R. Turner of Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
1. Star & Sentinel, March 25, 1868: "Work has...been resumed on the new Preparatory building, by Mr. Turner--operations having been suspended during the excessive cold weather."
2. Star & Sentinel, August 7, 1868: "...the large Preparatory Department building, known as 'Stevens Hall,' will be completed in time for next session."