233 North Washington Street

Built about 1864.
Torn down and replaced in 1988.

Brief Description
This two-story frame house appears to have been built circa 1864 by Alexander Tate. In 1987 it was purchased by Gettysburg College and, the following year, torn down due to structural issues and replaced with the current building. Today, 233 North Washington Street is the home of Gettysburg College's Civil War Institute. For information on the current structure, click here

Timeline of Ownership
1. Estate of James Gettys, March 13, 1815
2. Thaddeus Stevens, August 25, 1825
3. John H. McClellan, April 1, 1848
4. Alexander Tate, by 1865
5. David McGuigan, by 1867
6. Edward McPherson (through a sheriff's sale), August 20, 1876
7. Anna Maria Minnigh, March 29, 1884
8. Annie M. Zeigler, April 22, 1892
9. Heirs of Annie M. Zeigler, March 14, 1927
10. William J. Reuter, September 1, 1927
11. Charles B. Tate, December 28, 1928
12. Ida Pearl Bear and Pearl Light Wiser, March 6, 1939
13. Daniel E. Teeter, May 18, 1939
14. Pearl Light Wiser, May 18, 1939
15. G. Radcliffe Schultz Jr. and Marian B. Shultz, May 29, 1985
16. Gettysburg College, October 8, 1987

See sources
Collapse sources
Adams County Deed Books: UU-553; 117-89; 121-14; 151-80; 148-296; 148-297; 401-159; 470-362.