Old Presbyterian Cemetery
Originally designated as lots 44 and 45 on James Gettys' original plot of the town, this property was for many years the site of a Presbyterian graveyard. In 1815, trustees of the Upper Presbyterian Church of Marsh Creek purchased these lots for the purpose of constructing a small church and cemetery. The "small log church" at this site stood for about twenty years before being demolished due to structural problems. Although the church was gone, the cemetery remained at this site until 1865 when existing graves were exhumed and placed in Evergreen Cemetery south of Gettysburg. Nicholas Weaver purchased the property soon after and several new houses were built. Some graves were missed during the abandonment of the cemetery in 1865, and the remains of 16 individuals were found at this site in the 1990s during the construction of new buildings.
Timeline of Ownership
1. James Gettys
2. Henry Branner, January 15, 1788
3. Reynolds Ramsay, April 26, 1800
4. Christian Rife, May 4, 1807
5. John Garvin, December 31, 1807
6. Trustees of the Upper Presbyterian Church of Marsh Creek, April 28, 1815
7. Nicholas Weaver, September 19, 1865
During the Battle of Gettysburg
The Presbyterian Cemetery was also used as a temporary burial site for Union soldiers who died of their wounds in the town of Gettysburg. These men were subsequently moved to the Soldiers National Cemetery and placed beside their fallen comrades. At least one Union soldier's remains were left behind and discovered during the construction of a factory in 1899.