Carlisle House

Built in 1902

Brief History
Located at 249 Carlisle Street, this large brick house was built on a lot that had been originally occupied by the Prince of Peace Episcopal Church. For a history of that building, click here. In 1902, the family of Guyon Buehler constructed the current house at this site, and it was later occupied by Gettysburg's Veterans of Foreign Wars Post. In 1954, Gettysburg College purchased the house, then sold it to Kappa Delta Rho Fraternity in 1958, which occupied the dwelling until 1975 when the college purchased it back. 

Timeline of Ownership
1. Estate of Henry Wantz, January 29, 1863
2. Charles J. Ehrehart, April 18, 1866
3. George Ehrehart, October 12, 1869
4. Prince of Peace Church, September 4, 1876
5. William McClean, May 10, 1892
6. Maria Edwards and Caroline E. Buehler, December 30, 1899
7. Buyon E. and Ellen Tipton Buehler, August 5, 1929
8. Trustees of Gettysburg Post 15, Veterans of Foreign Wars, December 8, 1945
9. Home Association, VFW, Gettysburg Post No. 15, March 29, 1946
10. Gettysburg College, August 16, 1954
11. Pi Chapter of Kappa Delta Rho, July 28, 1958
12. Gettysburg College, October 22, 1975


See sources
Collapse sources
Adams County Deed Books: Y-240, 115-626, 121-291, 171-153, 172-443, 207-373, 222-171, 321-262.