Linnaean Hall

Built in 1846-1847
Torn down in 1942


Brief History
Linnaean Hall was built to house the college's scientific collections. It was the second major building to be constructed on campus. Money was raised for the project by student members of the Linnaean Association (founded at Gettysburg in 1844), and student workers helped with the actual construction of the building. Made of brick, Linnaean Hall was, like Pennsylvania Hall, built in the Greek Revival style. It was two and a half stories high, with a second-story main entrance. In its later years, Linnaean Hall became the campus gymnasium. After falling into disrepair, the hall was removed in 1942 in an effort to beautify the campus.

Timeline
1844: The college's Linnaean Association was organized.
1845: The college granted the Linnaean Association permission to build a hall on campus. 
Spring, 1846: Students began digging the foundation of Linnaean Hall, and Joseph Clapsaddle was awarded the contract for construction. The building had been designed by Herman Haupt, a wellknown engineer who would become a Union general during the Civil War.
July 23, 1846: The cornerstone was laid. 
September 14, 1847: Linnaean Hall was formally dedicated.
1942: Linnaean Hall was demolished.



See sources
Collapse sources
Charles H. Glatfelter, A Salutary Influence, 110-112, 163.