The Observatory

Built in 1874
Demolished in 1925

Brief History
The College's first astronomical observatory was built in 1874 on ground that is now occupied by Hanson Hall. In its later years, this building was used as an infirmary.

Timeline
1. October 9, 1874: "Mr. Roth is putting up the frame work of the new Observatory building." (Star & Sentinel). 


See sources
Collapse sources
For more information on the building's use as an infirmary, see the image section of this page, the Gettysburgian of November 24, 1915, and "College Boys Making Best of Quarantine," Gettysburgian, February 11, 1920.