Built in 1888-1889
The Recitation Hall (renamed Glatfelter Hall in 1912) is one of the best known structures on campus. Designed by architect John A. Dempwolf, Glatfelter Hall is three stories tall with a basement and attic. In its early years, only the first three floors were used for educational purposes. For many years, the south and north ends of the building were used as meeting rooms for the college's two literary societies (Philomathean & Phrenocosmian). The middle section of the third floor also housed the campus museum after Linnaean Hall was converted into a gymnasium. Today, Glatfelter holds dozens of classrooms and departmental offices.
1. June 27, 1888: Cornerstone laid (see photograph above)
2. July-December, 1888: Construction of Glatfelter Hall
3. January 1, 1889: the building was "nearly under roof" (Star & Sentinel).
4. September, 1889: After much delay, the interior of the building was completed and the building was formally dedicated.
April 9, 1889: "the plasterers have finished the plastering of the first story of the new College building." (Star & Sentinel).