College records indicate that a washhouse was constructed just north of Pennsylvania Hall in 1837. In 1860, this structure was greatly expanded and made into the college janitor's residence. This house stood until 1928.
1837: A washhouse was built for the use of the college students and staff.
1860: The washhouse was enlarged to become the residence of John "Jack" Hopkins, the college janitor, and his family.
[see Janitor's House page for further information]