209 North Washington Street
Built in 1858
Demolished in 1898 and replaced by the current structure.
This large brick house was built in 1858 by J. William Heilecker, a German immigrant and shoemaker by trade. Heilecker and his family were natives of Rittershausen, and had arrived in New York in 1849. In May of 1858, the Adams Sentinel noted that "Mr. Heiligher [sic] is putting up a comfortable brick [dwelling]." Heilecker died in 1878, and the property was inherited by his daughter Mary Elizabeth, the wife of Jacob Briel. The house was torn down in March of 1898 and replaced by the current brick structure at 209 North Washington Street. For a history of that house, click here.
Timeline of Ownership
1. Estate of James Gettys, March 13, 1815
2. Thaddeus Stevens, August 25, 1825
3. John H. McClellan, April 1, 1848
4. Philip J. Heilecker & Louis J. Heilecker, April 10, 1859
5. J. William Heilecker, September 8, 1868
5. Heirs of William Heilecker, March 26, 1878
6. Mary Elizabeth Briel, July 3, 1878